• 2002-2007, Ph.D. in Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA • 2006, M.S. in Organic Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA • 1999-2001, M.Sc. in Physical Chemistry, Kalyani University, West Bengal, India • 1996-1999, B.Sc. in Chemistry (Hons.), University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India
• 2016-till date, Scientist-D (Nanomaterials and Application Technology), Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, Mohali, Punjab • 2016, Assistant Professor, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Kolkata, West Bengal • 2012-2015, DST-WOSA Scientist, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Mohali, Punjab • 1/2012- 12/2013, Visiting Scientist, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA • 2010–2011, US NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA. • 2007–2010, US NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA. • 2002–2007, Research and Teaching Assistant, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA.
Selected Publications :
1. Thakur, N. S.; Bhaumik, J;* Kirar, S; and Banerjee, U. C.* ‘’Development of gold-based phototheranostic nanoagents through bioinspired route and their applications in photodynamic therapy’’, ACS Sus. Chem. Eng, 2017, 5, 7950-7960. 2. Dwivedee, B. P.; Bhaumik, J.*; Rai, S. K.; Laha, J. K. Banerjee, U. C. “Development of nanobiocatalysts employing statistical design as an optimization tool for efficient immobilization of biocatalysts”, Bioresource Technology 2017, 239, 464-471. 3. Bhaumik, J.;* Gogia, G.; Kirar, S.; Vijay, L. Thakur, N. S.; Banerjee, U. C.; Laha, J. K.* “Bioinspired nanophotosensitizers: synthesis and characterization of porphyrin–noble metal nanoparticle conjugates”, New J. Chem. 2016, 40, 724-731. 4. Patil M. D., Bhaumik, J.; Babykutty, S. Fukumura, D.; Banerjee, U. C. “Arginine Dependence of Tumor Cells: Targeting a Chink in Cancer's Armor”, Oncogene (Nature Publishing Group) 2016, 35, 4957-4972. 5. Bhaumik J.;* Thakur, N. S.; Aili, P. K.; Ghanghoriya, A.; Mittal, A. K.; Banerjee, U. C.* “Bioinspired Nanotheranostic Agents: Synthesis, Surface Functionalization and Antioxidant Potential”, ACS Biomat. Sc. and Engg. 2015, 1, 382-392. 6. Bhaumik, J.;* Mittal, A. K.; Banerjee, A.; Chisti, Y.; Banerjee, U. C.* “Applications of Phototheranostic Nanoagents in Photodynamic Therapy”, Nano Research 2015, 8, 1373-1394. 7. Han, H.-S.; Niemeyer, E.; Huang, Y.; Kamoun, W. S.; Martin, J. D.; Bhaumik, J.; Chen, Y.; Roberge, S.; Cui, J.; Martin, M. R.; Fukumura, D.; Jain, R. K.; Bawendi, M. G.; Duda, D. G. “Quantum Dot/Antibody Conjugates for In vivo Cytometric Imaging in Mice”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2015, 112, 1350-1355. 8. Dwivedee, B. P.; Ghosh, S.; Bhaumik, J.; Banoth, L.; Banerjee, U. C. “Lipase Catalyzed Green Synthesis of Enantiopure Atenolol”, RSC Adv. 2015, 5, 15850-15860. 9. McCarthy, J. R.*; Bhaumik, J.; Karver, M. R.; Erdem, S. S.; Weissleder, R. “Targeted Nanoagents for the Detection of Cancers”, Mol. Oncol. 2010, 4, 511-528. 10. Bhaumik, J.; McCarthy, J. R.; Weissleder, R. “Synthesis and Photophysical Properties of Sulfonamidophenyl Porphyrins as Models for Activatable Photosensitizers”, J. Org. Chem. 2009, 74, 5894-5901. 11. Bhaumik, J.#; McCarthy, J. R.#; Merbouh, N.; Weissleder, R. “High-yielding Syntheses of Hydrophilic, Conjugatable Chlorins and Bacteriochlorins”, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2009, 7, 3430-3436. # Equal contribution (first author) 12. Mroz, P.; Bhaumik, J.; Dogutan, D. K.; Aly, Z.; Kamal, Z.; Khalid, L.; Kee, H. L.; Bocian, D. F.; Holten, D.; Lindsey, J. S.; Hamblin, M. R. “Imidazole Metalloporphyrins as Photosensitizers for Photodynamic Therapy: Role of Molecular Charge, Central Metal and Hydroxyl Radical Production”, Cancer Lett. 2009, 282, 63-76. 13. Muthiah, C.; Bhaumik, J.; Lindsey, J. S. “Rational Routes to Formyl-Substituted Chlorins”, J. Org. Chem. 2007, 72, 5839-5842. 14. Bhaumik, J.; Yao, Z.; Borbas, K. E.; Taniguchi, M.; Lindsey, J. S. “Masked Imidazolyl-Dipyrromethanes in the Synthesis of Imidazole-Substituted Porphyrins”, J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 8807-8817.
• J. Bhaumik, S. Chandna, R. S. Sangwan, “An improvised, sustainable and economical process for the synthesis of biomass derived lignin coated metal nanocomplexes and development of nanotherapeutic and nanodiagnostic conjugates thereof”; Indian patent application no: R20171038321, filed on 29th December, 2017.)
List of Book Chapters:
1. Bhaumik, J.;* Kirar, S.; Laha, J. K. “Theranostic nanoconjugates of tetrapyrrolic macrocycles and their applications in photodynamic therapy”, Book chapter no 22, , Publisher: Springer, Book Title: Redox-Active Therapeutics, 2016, 509-524. 2. Thakur, N. S.; Dwivedee, B. P.; Banerjee, U. C.; Bhaumik, J.* “Bioinspired Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles: Characterization, Mechanism and Applications”, book chapter, Book title: ‘Silver Nanoparticles for Antibacterial Devices’; publisher: CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group 2017, 3-36.
1. Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), 2006-till date. 2. Life Member, The Biotech Research Society of India (BRSI), 2016-till date. 3.‘Recognized Reviewer Status’ awarded by Elsevier, August 2016. 4.‘Chemistry Ambassador’ appointed by American Chemical Society (ACS) since 2015. 5. Research article on bioinspired noble metal nanoparticles has been selected to be featured on the cover of the sixth issue of ACS Biomaterial Science and Engineering journal, June 2015. 6. Research work highlighted as ‘Highly rated paper’ (top 2% among ~7000 abstracts) at the 102nd Annual American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Meeting, Florida, USA, April 2-6, 2011. 7. Awarded NIH postdoctoral fellowship to carry out research at Harvard Medical School, USA 2007-2011. 8. Awarded ‘Graduate Research Scholarship’ to attend PhD program in North Carolina State University, USA, 2002-2007.